Thursday, July 30, 2009

Trinity County Trip



The Trinity River was calling my name. It happens from time to time. I don't know what it is, exactly, and I can't explain it...the way I feel when I am in that water; so clean and clear and pushing and pulling me with it's current. Seeing the beams of sun shoot through the water when I'm laying at the bottom of it, swimming with the salmon...coming out of the water and into the fresh air, with walls of pine-covered canyons shooting into the sky on either side of me...Laying on the sun-baked rocks, and listening to absolutely nothing at all except nature...It called my name...and the names of my 4 children, I'm pretty sure. So we went. 5 days of water. Whiskeytown Lake, Canyon Creek, Trinity Lake, Trinity River North Fork, and the Sacramento River. 4 nights of so many stars and the milky way jumping out at us like a ghost...just heaven...all except for the fact that My John had to stay at home and work. Almost heaven...we sure missed him. If I'm lucky, the Trinity River will call my children's names next summer and I can blame them for the expense of the 10 hour drive! Maybe we should just blame the blasted river.





To the left is Charlie and Louis in Whiskeytown Lake.







Below, Ella and I in Miner's Camp, a swimming
hole in Canyon Creek, which feeds into the
Trinity River in Junction City.















Handstands!















Mama picked a hat for Louis!




















Miner's Camp, in all it's glory.





























Picking blackberries with Papa and Nicole















Ella and Louis on Trinity Lake















Miles and Char















Ella on the kneeboard















Miles on the kneeboard















Monument Peak in the background; part of
the Trinity Alps















My friend, Catilin's property, on Canyon Creek















How we got down to Caitlin's swimming hole:
in the back of her 4x4 while she drove down
a crazy dirt road. I had to TALK the kids into
getting in the bed of a pickup. They were very
concerned about safety. City kids. :)















Canyon Creek Swimming Hole #2















All 4 kids jumped off of this rock. I only got
videos of Miles and Ella though. Char and Lou
were wearing life jackets though!



Miles Turn!



Louis in his Spidey Suit
(jumping rock in background)














Charlie in the SCARY RAPIDS!!















Char looking for fish!















Miles Rock Climbing at the North Fork















The North Fork Swimming Hole, known as:
The Rope Swing















The Rope Swing, itself.















Unfortunately, you must turn your head to
the side to view this...it's me on the rope swing.

2 comments:

The Grimmers said...

Looks like you had FUN!!! I can't believe how pretty it is! That water would be calling my name also!!!

Nanna and Papa said...

Wow Aimee--this was a dream trip and I am so sorry we did not talk about it--I meant to--because I knew that you had gone and I know exactly what that 'call' of deep rooted, in your bones nature--that grew in childhood is like--giving that gift to your children is a jewel they will forever treasure--so good for you--and next year I'll hope that John can share the adventure too! Love ya-Mom