Thursday, December 18, 2008

Today at the Dollar Store

I was shopping at the dollar store with Char and Lou today and told them they could pick out a toy. They both found guns that they wanted and right as they were telling me what they picked, this elderly lady walked up and asked how old Louis was because she had a grandson that age and she wondered what kind of toy he might like. I said, "Well, today my boys want guns. Those are always fun." to which she replied, "Oh, I would never get a gun for him. I never even bought guns for my own children. It's a bad idea." I pretty much shrugged my shoulders and let her know she was on her own then when Louis grabbed another toy and said, "Actually, Mom, I think I want this tool set instead." Charlie got really excited and shouted, "Louis! Did you know that you can KILL people with tools?"

The woman turned her head toward me and raised her eyebrows. Yeah. Whatever.

6 comments:

Nanna and Papa said...

Oh yeah, Aimee, that reminds me ... I forgot to warn you about John! He had toy guns as a child, too! Heaven forbid kids ever grow up to be like their father! Especially be careful of a Papa enjoying shooting a round of skeet from a real shotgun! What's this world coming to?

Charlie's comment is too hilarious and priceless!

jered said...

Kudos to you, though, for letting boys be boys. Let them be warriors a bit. Even if it's just make-believe.

Anonymous said...

Aimee, I think you must attract those nosy old ladies! I remember a story you told in NYC of a time when Miles wouldn't wear his jacket and how one of "those" ladies accosted you on the street and said "What are you thinking? He could catch his death!" and you responded (so perfect!) with an evil chuckle and replied "that's my plan!"
I've never forgotten this story because I was so impressed that you came up with the perfect answer on the spot! And had the courage to say it!

Lindsay said...

I wonder if she would let her grandson play with a power strip?

Julia Harps said...

ha ha ha. I read this to my family tonight. I love what kids say.

Kristen said...

HAHAHAHA! awesome. some lady got really offended one day when connor was shooting at her with his toy gun. "You shouldn't play with guns!"

I turned to him and said, "Get her, Connor."

perhaps not the most polite response...