Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Confession of Sorts

Sure hope I don't offend any Noltes with this post, but I dread that's what I'm about to do!!! So, yesterday John came to me with the look in his eye where he won't look me right in the eye, and his lips are pursed and his eyebrows raised in that "I need to tell you something but you're not going to like it" look that I know so well, and said, "Remember my clients that got kicked out of their apartment last week? Well, they've been homeless for about 4 days now, and have been on the streets in the rain. All their blankets are wet, and they are not looking so hot. Can we put them up in a hotel for one night...I already told them we would." After a little discussion, I agreed, and John started on his way to pick them up and take them to the Motel 6 in South Pomona. Right before he reached the door, he turned around and said, "It's only one night, and then they're right back on the street again. Do we have any blankets that we don't need?" Most of our blankets have some sentimental value...to me or to the kids, so I said, "Man, I don't know. Go take a look." He came out with a blanket that his mom had left here on her last visit. She brought the blanket to So. Cal, because they were going to the beach and this particular blanket had been the Nolte's standby beach blanket for probably 30 years or so. There was no room in her suitcase however to bring it back on the plane, so she asked if she could leave it here till we saw her next. I relayed that message to John, and he came to the conclusion that though the blanket had many memories for him and his family, it might be better served for an entirely different sort of purpose now. He looked at it and told me that he can't remember a beach trip where that blanket wasn't spread out at his family's "home base" next to the cooler and shovels and pails. At that point, I could see that his mind was made up, and I told him to wrap it around him and snuggle a little, one last time and that I would take a few pictures to show his family. One night in a hotel and an old beach blanket were all we could give this couple, and I feel bad about two things. 1. That we can't do more for them and the millions like them 2. That they won't have the chance to associate their new blanket with care-free times and warm sunshine. Sorry Noltes, and thanks.


1 comment:

The Snead Family said...

broke my heart for a moment-my selfish heart- but then i realized you guys are doing the right thing, and all of us Nolte's would have done the same thing. That blanket does have lots of memories-but the family needs it right now and I am glad that you let them have it:):)